If you and/or your small group like to take notes, feel free to fill out the following study guide during the video interview. This will also help prepare you for the final exam at the end of the OLOGY series. To distribute this study guide to your small group, you can either:
Note: for the first week of the series, this downloadable version has the answers written in it as an example. All future study guides will not include the answers.
Discuss these questions before watching the video interview.
1. Introduce yourselves to the group and describe your spiritual heritage: what you grew up with or without, parents’ beliefs, etc. How did this impact your own spiritual beliefs?
2. If you could ask Jesus one question about Himself, what would you ask?
Discuss these questions after watching the video.
1. Dr. Burge talked about monotheism vs. polytheism.
2. How do differing religions understand Jesus? Why is Jesus a stumbling block to such religions?
3. Jesus alienates the religious leaders of his day by doing things only God was allowed to do.
4. Scripture asserts that Jesus did not just come from God, nor was He just adopted by God, but that He actually is God. Take turns reading the following verses:
Assuming these claims are true, what are the implications between what you know about Jesus and your relationship with Jesus?
5. Dr. Burge argued that Jesus was fully God and fully man. How do the following passages describe Jesus’ humanity?
What are some other ways Jesus was fully human? What significance or benefit is there to us that Jesus was fully human?
6. Scripture tells us that because of who Christ is and what He has done, the following is true of followers of Christ:
1. Christology is the study of the person, nature and role of Christ. What characteristics of Jesus has most impacted your life (ie – compassion, humility, forgiveness, etc.)?
2. Identify at least one thing you can do this week to cultivate your relationship with Jesus and/or grow in your understanding of who Jesus is?
If your group would like to prepare for next week’s topic on Pneumatology (the study of the Holy Spirit), please click below to access the preparatory questions.
You can distribute these questions to your participants by either emailing them the link or you can print and hand out the questions at then of this week’s Small Group.